As you are probably aware, Lake Tahoe is the “hottest” resort property in the United States, if not the world. For those of us who have lived here for a long time, this comes as no surprise. The Tahoe area is truly amazing. From world-class ski areas to casino gambling and outdoor recreation, we are second to none. Our crystal clear Alpine lake is the highest lake of its size in the US and boasts 71 miles of spectacular shoreline. The Tahoe Basin is inside the rim of mountains that surround the lake. Only 13% of the basin is private ownership. In the early 1970s, 21% of the basin was private ownership. Roughly 8% has been purchased by some form of government or forestry service over the years to be permanently retired from private development leaving 87% of the basin for future generations to enjoy. This has setup a “supply and demand” scenario unprecedented in other resort areas.
Top 10 Reasons
- The huge baby boomer population is purchasing second homes and condos at an unprecedented rate at destination resorts. Tahoe is a top spot!
- Mortgage rates and interest-only mortgage have been easy to qualify for and very attractive.
- Redevelopment on the South Shore of Lake Tahoe has changed the way people feel about investing in the area. Homeowners have been enjoying double-digit appreciation for the past five years.
- Vail Resorts’ purchase of Heavenly created a larger vision for the South Shore. Vail´s investment of $25 million for improvements shows their great confidence in the world-class potential for our area.
- Nevada property taxes are ultra-low considering the property value to tax ratio.
- Location, location, location: There are 15 ski resorts and 17 golf courses within about an hour of the South Shore.
- The crystal clear alpine lake that started it all: 71 miles of spectacular shoreline is truly one-of-a-kind.
- For the Nevada folks who reside and work here: NO STATE INCOME TAXES! California residents have begun to figure this out… They have been migrating into to Nevada and are increasingly flooding our market.
- The diversity of outdoor recreation is tough to beat: motorboating, fishing, hiking, cycling, golfing, water / snow / cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, off-roading (motorized vehicles still allowed), sailing, windsurfing, kite surfing, nature exploring, kayaking, rafting and more!
- Our beautiful weather: Although diverse, we have four real seasons with over 300 days of sunshine a year! Summers are incredible!
A nature experience is only a short walk away from every home on the South Shore of Lake Tahoe. Building limitations ensure the region will maintain the feeling of a mountain community. Different areas feature various degrees of isolation or convenience, scenic views and home costs. Fewer homes cluster on the steeper slopes of the Nevada-Side of the South Shore. The average home size is twice as large as homes across the stateline, are more likely to have a spectacular view and are priced accordingly. The median price of current homes for sale in Lake Tahoe Nevada east shore is $1,300,000 (2019) excluding lakefront properties. The median price of condos in Lake Tahoe, Nevada is $500,000. (2019) One of the advantages of owning in Nevada is the very low property taxes that exist. Typically, a million dollar home is paying less than .5% of the value (in Douglas County, NV) And your property taxes do not change when a sale occurs! They adjust annually and the amount depends if the property is your residence or if you rent it out. The Nevada side does not have any restrictions on vacation renting your property although their are a few neighborhoods that do not allow any short term rentals.
The east shore, Nevada side of Lake Tahoe has no incorporated cities. It does include many small townships such as Stateline, Round Hill, Zephyr Cove, Cave Rock, Lakeridge, Logan Creek, Tahoe Village,Skyland, Zephyr Heights, Summit Village, Elk Point Country Club, Cedarbrook, Uppaway Estates and Glenbrook. Stateline, the largest of the Nevada communities, features the region´s casinos and their many fine restaurants, shops and gaming. In addition, you get a break on your Nevada taxes. You will NOT pay: personal income tax, corporate income tax, franchise tax on income, unitary tax inheritance, estate or gift tax, admissions tax.